Welcome to the National Council of Women Fiji [NCWF]!!
The NCWF is a non-governmental organisation that was established in 1968 to be the focal point for the women of Fiji. Today it is one of the strongest bodies in the country that voices Fiji women's concerns. It is also the umbrella organisation of women NGO's in Fiji.
Nature Of The Council
- The Council is a national coordinating body of women's organisations/groups in Fiji.
- The Council acts as a national forum providing women of Fiji with a collective voice to speak out and take action on issues of local, national and international concerns.
- The Council is a non-political, non-sectarian, non-profit and non-government organisation
Aims of the Council
- To promote the interests of women in particular that of women with disabilities, the girl child and the marginalised
- To advocate on behalf of women and children to ensure development efforts produce sustainable and justly distributed improvements to the quality of life for all Fiji citizens.
Objectives Of The Council
- To promote solidarity and unity amongst women for the advancement of women's status in Fiji.
- To conduct research on the needs of women and the girl-child
- To monitor, analyse and take appropriate action on non government policies and programs that impact on women and the girl-child.
- To mobilise and organise resources for action
- To collect and distribute information
- To facilitate active networking between women's organisations in Fiji.
- To work in cooperation with other organisations having similar aims as the Council.
- To maintain links with the International Councils of Women and the National Women's Umbrella bodies in other countries.
- To promote the recognition and support of the Council's aims and objectives by the government agencies, private sector organisations, regional and international bodies and the public at large.
There are seven key areas that the NCW Fiji affiliates focus their projects on .
These are listed below:
- Mechanisms for the Advancement of Women
- Education and Training
- Human Rights
- Poverty Alleviation & Economic Empowerment of Women
- Shared Decision-Making
- Education and Training - Program Management and Financial Management
- Guidance and Counselling Skills Training on Child Abuse for Affiliates
- Women in Politics Project - Educating women on local and national governing institutions, electoral systems and radio programs in vernacular on the Local Government Procedures, awareness programs, voter education workshops.
- Women's Action For Democracy & Peace Project (an initiative that was established to address the long-term effects of the May 2000 political crisis).
- Information dissemination - updates, seminars, panel discussions
NCWF is governed by its Constitution and at the apex of policy decision making is the Executive Council (EC) which comprises of two representatives from each affiliate organisation. The EC meets regularly on a quarterly basis. In addition to the EC are the seven members of the Executive Committee who are elected every two years to oversee the management and running of the planned activities.
The Current Executive Committee are listed below
|Vice President 1
||Merewairita Naisua Moci
|Vice President 2
||Sharon Bhagwan Roll
|Vice President 3
||Fay Evangeline Volatabu
Membership of the Council is open to national, district, community or professional women's organisations including women's political wings with the following conditions:
- Have a membership of at least ten women
- Have a constitution and/or a statement of objectives that are in line with the objectives of the Council
- Have been in existence for at least one (1) year
The Annual Subscription for Member organisations is $100.00. The prescribed non-refundable application fee for any new member is $10.00.
To be a member of the NCW Fiji, the organisation will have to fill out the mebership application form and accompanied by the $10.00 non-refundable application fee.
For further queries on membership contact the Coordinator at the NCW Fiji Secretariat Office?by phone,fax or mail.
Phone:3311880 or Fax: 3315429 or
NCWF embodies these ideals whilst dealing with women
1. Inform Women
- about issues and projects
- about the expectations and needs of their women
2. Raise Consciousness
- By making women's lives more visible to other women and to society as a whole.
3. Act As A Catalyst
- By generating discussions of problems and courses of action.
4. Give Women Access To:
- Various channels of communications where they can be heard and which they can adapt to their needs.
5. Provide A Supportive Environment
- In which women feel free to speak out.
There are 49 affiliated national, district and village organisations.
- Pan Pacific South East Asia Women's Association of Fiji (PPSEAWA)
- Methodist Women's Fellowship
- Soroptimist International (Fiji)
- Methodist Old Scholars Association
- Fiji Girl Guides Association
- Young Women's Christian Association
- Fiji Disabled People's Association (Women's Wing)
- Fiji Muslim Women's League
- Fijian Teachers Association Women's Wing
There has never been any core funding but a special thank you to the following for financial support:
- MINISTRY OF WOMEN & CULTURE
- US EMBASSY